Prior to beginning work on this assignment, read Chapter 3 of Making Connections: Understanding Interpersonal Communication, review the Sample Week 2 Paper, and watch the Week 2 Webinar â€“ Culture in Action (Links to an external site.) video.
For this assignment, you will explore the relationship between culture and communication. In her definition of culture, Bevan (2020) states it is the collective set of customs, values, beliefs, and norms of a group of people. In this paper, you will explore how culture creates customs of verbal and nonverbal communication and then explore two other themes covered in Bevan. Ultimately, you will discuss how paying attention to culture can help us improve as communicators.
In your paper,
- Explain two points detailing why it is so important to be aware of culture when thinking about communication, utilizing Bevan.
- Explain how culture shapes verbal and nonverbal communication, utilizing Bevan.
- Describe the relationship between culture and two other themes that are central to culture from this list, utilizing Bevan:
- Gender(Chapters 2 and 3)
- High versus low context cultures (Chapter 3)
- Dominant cultures versus co-cultures (Chapter 3)
- Individualism and collectivism (Chapter 3)
- Perceptual filters (Chapter 3)
- Explain how paying attention to culture can help a person improve as a communicator, utilizing Bevan and, if you choose, one of the supplemental videos you watched.
The Culture and Communication paper