Observe a live event, or watch one of the speeches from the Library Video Options provided below. The link will take you to a collection of student speeches. The recordings are classified as informative or persuasive; you are free to choose either type.
- Library Video Options: Student Speeches for Analysis Series
Do the following, to complete this assignment:
- Print out the Speaker Critique Form (linked above), and familiarize yourself with the elements of the presentation that you will be assessing.
- View a presentation, a lecture, a sermon, or some sort of public speaking event. A live event would be great, but one of the Library Video Options (linked above) is acceptable.
- During the presentation, complete the Speaker Critique Form; consider including notes to help you remember specific details later.
- Write a 2-page paper, using proper spelling and grammar, that addresses the following:
- Provide an introduction describing who spoke, what they spoke about, and where you heard the presentation. If you chose to use a library video, be sure to clearly identify its title and provide a link to the specific video within the series.
- After the introduction, talk about what parts of the content were done well and what the speaker could have done better. Address at least 2 different elements of content.
- Next, talk about what parts of the delivery were done well and what the speaker could have done better. Address at least 2 different elements of delivery.
- End with a conclusive paragraph, giving your opinion about whether the speaker was effective or not. Explain your reasoning.