Read pages 1-5 of the case study, â€œStatins Stat!â€ (see attached pdf below), and answer the following questions.
1. Why are high density lipoproteins (HDLs) considered the â€œgood cholesterolâ€? In your answer explain specifically what HDLs do that cause it to be considered the â€œgood cholesterolâ€.
2. Why are low density lipoproteins (LDLs) considered the â€œbad cholesterolâ€? In your answer explain specifically what LDLs do that cause it to be considered the â€œbad cholesterolâ€.
3. What is the role of the phospholipid monolayer at the outer surface of lipoprotein particles? (Question 1 of case study)
4. Why are cholesterol, cholesteryl esters, and triglycerides preferentially contained inside lipoprotein particles? (Question 2 of case study)
5. What are the two sources of cholesterol in the human body?
6. What is a “committed step” in a biochemical pathway? (Question 3 of case study)
7. Looking at Figure 4 of case study (the reaction pathway from acetyl-CoA), which enzyme is likely to be the target of the statin mevastatin? (Question 6 of case study)
8. What are four (4) ways that HDL levels can be increased in the body?
9. What type of inhibitor (non-competitive OR competitive) are statins with respect to HMG-CoA reductase enzyme activity? Explain why.
10. How were cholesterol-lowering statin drugs first discovered?
You will earn 10 pts for correctly answering each question (total points earned is 100). You may use the Internet and/or your textbook to assist you, but please DO NOT copy your answers directly from the Internet or textbook
2) The second part is attached in the PDF.