Successful teachers understand how to develop young children’s mathematical thinking while continually assessing student learning to inform instruction.
Allocate at least 4 hours in the field to support this field experience.
For this assignment, work with your mentor teacher to identify two PK, and Kindergarten grade teachers from different grade levels to observe teaching a math lesson. After the observations, interview each teacher about how he or she uses assessment data in planning math instruction.
Include the following questions in your interview:
- What types of assessment do you use to determine the needs and interests of your students in relation to math instruction?
- How do you differentiate math instruction to address studentsâ€™ diverse learning needs?
- What formative assessments (formal and informal) do you use during math instruction?
- What summative assessments do you use to determine student achievement?
- How do you make accommodations in assessment and testing conditions for students with language barriers?