- Review the theories for cognitive development throughout the life span.
- Explain the basis of the information-processing approach.
- Review Vygotskyâ€™s sociocultural theory.
- Identify how infants develop language.
Write a 2-3 page paper in which you summarize the strengths and weaknesses of Piagetâ€™s stages of cognitive development and Vygotskyâ€™s sociocultural theory of development. Describe how cognitive and sociocultural development support language development.
In your paper you should address:
- The strengths and weaknesses of Piagetâ€™s theories.
- The strengths and weaknesses of Vygotskyâ€™s theories.
- Identify the elements of each theory that you think are the strongest and/or the most problematic, and explain why you think so.
- How do cognitive and sociocultural development support language development?
- What should caregivers look for to confirm that a child is progressing in their language acquisition (ages 1-3)?