This week, you looked at the provider and patient rights. The assignment this week gives you a chance to look at a state law that provides the right for patients to die with dignity and compare the patientâ€™s right with the ethical duty of physicians set forth in the AMAâ€™s Code of Ethics.
You will write an essay that compares and contrasts the law and Code of Ethics as it applies to your state. Incorporate the following into your essay:
- Referring directly to the law, provide verbiage for what a provider is or is not allowed to do.
- What requirements must be present for a patient asking for death-hastening medication?
- Describe what the AMAâ€™s Code of Ethicâ€™s stance is on these procedures, including any additional opinions published by the AMA.
- Explain the challenging ethical decision-making process a provider must go through in this case.
- How might this situation be resolved for a legal and ethical resolution?
Length: 3-4 pages, not including title page
References: The AMA Code Ethics.